So I’m sitting here with the flu, thinking about writing about mold. Most of the symptoms I have—runny nose, headache, sore throat, congestion, cough—could have been from mold exposure. (Actually I know who gave me this. Thanks for sharing. You know who you are.)
So those of you out there who are coming down with winter colds with significant respiratory symptoms, don’t forget to check your house or signs of mold, especially if you know of a leak somewhere. Because that cold you have could be an allergy, the result of being in a closed environment with a population of mold spores floating around, dispersed to your lungs by your enthusiastic heating system.
Leaks lead to mold, as does excessive humidity. And just because it is winter, that cellulose your house is made of is going to be just as tasty as ever to all those hungry mold spores. In fact, with your heat on, as far as mold is concerned, it is spring 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Daunting, isn’t it?
Yes, mold can grow at any time of the year. AND if your house has an infestation, if you have your central heat running, or ceiling fans on to circulate the heat, you may also be circulating those mold spores, because the spore survives for one reason and one reason only. It is just looking for a place to establish the next colony.
No, you don’t have to feel like the martians are coming. Just keep the place as clean and dry as possible, and we’ll all survive till spring. And pass me some of that hot tea, will you?