Mycotoxins are toxins produced by mold and fungi. Mycotoxicoses are actual diseases caused by mycotoxins, i.e. secondary metabolites of molds. Hundreds of mycotoxins have been identified, and many are pathogenic. But all illnesses from mold are not related to mold-poisons.
The most common reaction to mold is allergic in nature. It can be from exposure that is either dermal or by inhalation, and includes symptoms like wheezing, rash, watery eyes, runny nose,itchy eyes, coughing, and redness of the eyes.
Testing your home or work environment for mold is a healthy move. That cold you have that’s been going on for months may be a mold allergy coming from mold in your walls or crawlspace.