Tricothecene mycotoxins (toxic mold) grows on walls, behind walls, in the ceilings, under the carpets, in ductwork and crawnspaces.
Why do experts suggest you need to test after remediation to make sure it has all been removed?
Because common evidence of trichothecene toxicity are depression of immune responses and nausea, vomiting plus the usual respiratory culprits. Trichothecene mycotoxicosis was first recognized to be connected with alimentary toxic aleukia in the USSR in 1932. It is still dangerous but no longer has a 60% mortality rate.
- Trichothecenes are 40 times more toxic when inhaled than when consumed orally.
- Trichothecenes are found in air samples collected during the drying and milling process on farms, in the ventilation systems of private houses and office buildings, and on the walls of houses with high humidity.
- Trichothecene is sometimes part of the “sick building syndrome”.
- Trichothecenes include mycotoxins produced by Fusarium, Myrothecium, Trichoderma, Trichothecium, Cephalosporium, Verticimonosporium, and Stachybotrys.
- Mycotoxin analyses of bulk environmental samples are now commercially available through environmental microbiology laboratories in the United States.